Interestingly, there is not a charter school on the list, even though according to another New York Times article , a higher percentage of charter schools got failing grades than district public schools: 13% received Ds or Fs, compared to 7% of non-charters. Given that proportionally more charters are new and thus do not have school grades (the formula requires at least two years of data), this is not a great endorsement.
- Merrick and La Cima received failing grades on the environment score, based on parent and teacher surveys.
- Merrick has been involved in repeated scandals, firing masses of teachers, while paying large management fees to Victory schools, a for-profit EMO.
- Peninsula Prep also pays large management fees to Victory and has been involved in similar scandals.
- Harriet Tubman, run by the for-profit EdisonLearning Inc, has had consistently dismal test scores.
- Fahari Academy was reported for expelling a child with ADHD.
- Questions have been raised about the excessive management fees paid by Bronx Academy of Promise and Bronx Lighthouse, as well as the tangled financial relationships of some of their board members.