Friday, June 24, 2011

Ivan Smalley, third grader, and his letter to Mayor Bloomberg

Jaye Bea Smalley, public school parent, is a member of the Citywide Council on Special Education and a great parent advocate.  Here is a letter her third-grade son wrote to Bloomberg.  Sad but true when a third-grader understands the impacts of these proposed budget cuts better than Bloomberg seems to.

Dear Mayor Bloomberg,

I don't think firing all the teachers will help save money.  When you fire teachers it disapproves education and learning. 

My mom told me that you are firing 5 teachers in my school and I hope that one of the teachers that is getting fired is not my next year teacher. What happened?  I didn't get my neo 2 [classroom laptop] until the end of the school year.  I hope you change your mind about firing the teachers.       

Sincerely, Ivan Smalley

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope its okay but may I link this to my blog? I love this letter.