Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Mayor Bloomberg's School Success

Math scores are up. I just hate it. I've thought that Mayor Bloomberg's policies on NYC schools utterly deplorable and I've deplored them. That said, the results of statewide math tests show that NYC children are doing better. There are some reasons to think a portion of the increased math scores is an artifact of the testing and some reason to credit past curriculum changes. However, these increases are significant as I read the data and the Mayor and Chancellor Klein deserve credit for them. I hate having written that. Review the data yourself here .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's not get carried away. While the scores have improved, they also went up statewide. This may well indicate an easier test than we've seen in recent years. In addition, the Mayor has mandated non-stop test prep and practice testing. Shouldn't we expect greater improvement than this in the six years this mayor has been running the schools?

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the SS and science scores are worse than ever, given the short shrift those tests are given in comparison to ELA and math.

And finally, let's remember that the ELA results were pretty abysmal and that graduation rates are shameful. Is this the best that mayoral control can offer after six years?

Pissedoffteacher said...

NYC kids do not know any ore math today than they did a few years ago. I don't care what the etests show. I am a high school matht eacher. They are still coming into HS so deficient in basic skills it is not funny. The only thing that has happened is that passing scores have been lowered and teachers are teaching to the tests. Stop believing all the propoganda out there.

Canelle said...

Hi, I am a Journalism student working on a story for the next couple of days about the effect of No Child Left Behind on public schools in Brooklyn, more specifically the Midwood and Flatbush areas. I am looking for parents who are willing to talk to me about what is working or not at their child's school. What do they think schools should be doing differently? What are the schools getting right? Do the imput of parents matter.

I can be reached at the following e-mail address.

columbia.journalism.student@gmail.com

All the best to you.