Friday, November 21, 2008

Another way in which Joel Klein's misguided policies are hurting NYC kids

From Confirmed: testing = teaching, the blog of a 2nd grade reading teacher:

Meanwhile, ... poor Azul has taken to hanging around the desk where I am conferencing with other students, wearing his best puppy dog face, clutching his B books and saying, "When you teach me? I want be C!" Hmm, does anyone know how to say, "I'm sorry, Azul, but I can't work with you individually to give you the help that you need in English and in reading because my bosses at this school just told me I need to listen to your classmates read long lists of high-frequency words for the second time in two months even though it's highly unlikely that their skills have improved in that time because I haven't gotten the chance to actually teach them anything" in Arabic?

No comments: